Florida's History Through Its Places
Gainesville BAIRD HARDWARE COMPANY WAREHOUSE 619 S. Main St. c. 1910. Masonry Vernacular. 1 story, brick. Baird Hardware Company was a major commercial enterprise in the Gainesville area for over 90 years. This at one time was its main warehouse. Presently divided into commercial establishments. Private. N.R. 1985.
Gainesville DIXIE HOTEL (Seagle Building). 408 W. University Ave. 1926+. Mediterranean Revival. G. Lloyd Preacher, architect. 11 stories, brick, upper floors stuccoed, lower 2 floors sheathed in stone. The city's most ambitious commercial building project in the 1920s. Never used as a hotel. Used by the University of Florida between 1937 and 1979. Remodeled for residential, retail, and office use in 1982-83. Private. N.R. 1982.
Gainesville EPWORTH HALL 419 NE 1st St. 1884. Eclectic. 2 stories, brick. At the time of its construction it served as a classroom for the state-operated East Florida Seminary. The seminary was abolished in 1905 and in 1906 the new University of Florida held its first class there. When the new campus was built, the structure was sold (1911) to the First Methodist Church. Private. N.R. 1973.
Gainesville MAJ. JAMES B. BAILEY HOUSE (Bailey Retirement Center). 1121 NW 6th St. 1854. Frame Vernacular with Greek Revival elements. 1 and a half stories, clapboarding, double-pitch gabled roof, front veranda. Builder was one of the city's pioneer settlers and a major civic figure in the city's formative years. Presently a retirement center. Private. N.R. 1972.
Gainesville MARY PHIFER McKENZIE HOUSE 617 E. University Ave. 1895+. Queen Anne. 2 and a half stories, frame, patterned shingling, 3 and a half-story octagonal tower, 1-story veranda. Built by John Lamberth, native of Georgia. It has since been the home of several influential Gainesville families and reflects the tastes of the affluent at the turn of the century. Private. N.R. 1982.
Gainesville OLD P.K. YONGE LABORATORY SCHOOL SW 13th St. 1934. Collegiate Gothic. Rudolph Weaver, architect. 2 and a half stories. Red brick exterior, terra-cotta roof tiles. Formerly the university demonstration school. Included grades K-12. Presently used for other university functions. Public. N.R. 1990.
Gainesville U.S. POST OFFICE 25 SE 2nd Pl. 1909. Beaux-Arts Classical. James Knox Taylor, architect. 3 and a half stories, yellow brick. North facade dominated by monumental portico with 6 Corinthian columns. Exterior walls have richly detailed panels. One of the finest examples of Beaux-Arts Classical style in Florida. Elegantly trimmed with carved limestone and granite exterior details. Renovated as a theater in 1980. Public. N.R. 1979.
Rochelle ROCHELLE SCHOOL Off Fl. 234. c. 1885. Frame Vernacular with Italianate elements. 2 stories, clapboarding, center bell tower. One of the few remaining buildings of a once thriving community. Rochelle is one of the oldest settlements in the county. Presently used as a community center. Private. N.R. 1973.
Vicinity of Alachua NEWNANSVILLE TOWN SITE 1.5 mi. NE of Alachua on Fl. 235. 1824-1890. Site of well-developed 19th-century rural community. Contains remains of road, 2 cemeteries, 2 wooden structures. First county seat, but decline began when county seat moved to Gainesville in 1854 and accelerated when the railroad bypassed it in 1884. Public-Private. N.R. 1974.
Boca Grande WHIDDEN’S MARINA 190 First Street East. Frame Vernacular. The marina, in part, consists of a small collection of historic resources. The oldest part of the marina, the fish house, dates to c. 1922, and is associated with Kingsmore Johnson, a harbor pilot. The fish house was purchased in 1925and expanded into a marina by Samuel D. Whidden. Whidden built a two story building between 1926 and 1933 that has traditionally been used as a general store, kitchen, and restaurant/dancehall. The marina also contains a maintenance shop (c.1940), slip (c.1940), water tank (c.1925), and boat-shed (c.1940). Private. N.R. 2000.
Bokeelia MARK PARDO SHELLWORKS SITE Address Restricted. The Mark Pardo Shellworks Site is located along the eastern edge of Southwest Florida’s barrier island known as Cayo Costa. Among the significant features of the site is the unusual abundance of large gastropod shells found in the deposit. Mark Pardo is one of only a handful of Caloosahatchee habitation sites found on southwest Florida’s barrier islands. Public-local. N.R. 1996.
Cross Creek MARJORIE KINNAN RAWLINGS HOUSE Fl. 325 S of Cross Creek. c. 1890. Frame Vernacular. 1 story, board-and-batten, built in 3 sections, connected by breezeways. Typical 19th-century Cracker house of Central Florida. Purchased by the novelist Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings in 1928 and owned by her until her death in 1953. Several of her novels, including The Yearling, were set in the locale. State Park. House museum. Public. N.R. 1970.
Gainesville BOULWARE SPRING WATERWORKS 3400 SE 15th St. 1895-1908. Eclectic. 2 stories, masonry, metal roof. Gainesville's first municipal waterworks. The site is historically significant since it was here in 1853 that an assembly chose as the county seat. Under restoration to be a site museum. Public. N.R. 1985.
Gainesville COX FURNITURE WAREHOUSE 602 S. Main St. 1914. Romanesque Revival. 1 and a half stories. The central "nave" of the building is raised to allow clerestory lighting. For many years occupied by a wholesale grocery concern. Later used as a warehouse and retail firm by Cox Furniture Company. Private. N.R. 1994.
Gainesville HOTEL THOMAS NE 2nd and 5th Sts. and NE 6th and 7th Aves. 1906-1910, 1928. French Classical with Mediterranean elements. 2 and a half stories, U-shaped, masonry, stuccoed, tile roof. Private residence of Major William Reuben Thomas, who was instrumental in the development of the city's social and cultural life. Between 1926 and 1928 converted into a luxury resort hotel, the first of its kind in the city. Renovated in 1976-78 for city government office space and use as a cultural center. Public. N.R. 1973.
Gainesville NORTHEAST GAINESVILLE RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT 1875-1920. 160 acres. Predominant styles: Masonry and Frame Vernacular, Classical Revival, Victorian, and Bungalow. Houses in this district represent a spectrum of architectural styles used in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Although conservative, the homes are nonetheless good examples of their time and clearly reflect the area's continuing evolution as an important residential neighborhood. N.R. 1980.
Gainesville UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA CAMPUS HISTORIC DISTRICT 1905-1925. Collegiate Gothic. William A. Edwards and Rudolph Weaver, architects. Predominant architectural elements are red brick, high-pitched tile roofs, widespread use of crenelated parapets interrupted by stepped gables. Elaborate arched main entrances and much stone trim. Anderson Hall (1913), Bryan Hall (1914), Buckman Hall (1907), Flint Hall (1910), Floyd Hall (1912), Library East (1925), Newell Hall (1910), Peabody Hall (1913), Rolf Hall (1927), Thomas Hall (1905), and Woman's Gymnasium (1919) are the important early buildings of the new University of Florida, which had been moved to Gainesville in 1905. Style was chosen as a logical response to a need for a sense of dignity and timelessness on the campus. Public. N.R. 1989.
High Springs HIGH SPRINGS HISTORIC DISTRICT 1885-1940. 266 buildings, 218 of historical interest. Mainly Frame Vernacular residences. A few Victorian and Revival-style homes, including Queen Anne and Gothic. Several residential neighborhoods and a small central business district. The development of the district coincides with the period when the town was an important railroad center. Public and Private. N.R. 1991.
Melrose MELROSE HISTORIC DISTRICT 1877-1929. 87 buildings, 66 of historical interest. Predominant style is Frame Vernacular, but several are Folk Victorian. A small, primarily residential neighborhood whose period of significance coincided with Melrose's years as a center of citrus production and a winter resort. Few buildings constructed after the devastating freezes of 1894-95, which destroyed the surrounding groves. Public and Private. N.R. 1990.
Micanopy MICANOPY HISTORIC DISTRICT 1776-1930. 16 blocks. Predominant styles: Frame Vernacular, Classical, Victorian, and Bungalow. The site of the town contains evidence of aboriginal occupation. The town has been continuously settled since 1821. It was once a thriving market town, but by the late 19th century it began to decline as it fell under the social, political, and economic shadow of Gainesville. N.R. 1983.
Newberry CITY OF NEWBERRY HISTORIC DISTRICT 1894-1938. 87 buildings, 48 of historical interest. Predominantly Frame Vernacular as well as Commercial style. Most homes are frame, some with Victorian-style elements. Craftsman and other styles represented. The most substantial building is the Municipal Building, a WPA (Works Progress Administration) project built during the Depression and made from local limestone. Public and Private. N.R. 1987.
Tavares LAKE COUNTY COURTHOUSE 315 West Main Street. Neo-Classical Revival. Five stories. The courthouse was constructed between 1923 and 1926. Originally erected during Florida’s real estate boom era, the courthouse is one of the few examples of the Neo-Classical Revival style in Lake County. Architect Alan J. Macdonough designed the building which possesses colossal Ionic columns, pilasters, keystone arched windows, and parapet. Public-local. N.R. 1998.