Florida's History Through Its Places
Jacksonville 310 W. CHURCH STREET APARTMENTS (Ambassador Hotel). 420 N. Julia St. 1923. Georgian Revival, with Beaux-Arts elements. Hentz, Reid and Adler, architects. 6 stories, brick, main entrance has massive rusticated ashlar stonework, set with a scroll keystone. Built in the midst of the Florida boom, the building first served for apartments, then was converted to a hotel. Private. N.R. 1983.
Jacksonville AVONDALE HISTORIC DISTRICT 1909-1936. 825 buildings, 729 or historical interest. Colonial and Mediterranean Revival, Bungalow and Craftsman styles common. A residential district of 1- and 2-story single-family residences of many architectural styles. District was laid out for middle-class families, with some custom-made homes for the wealthy. One of the first areas developed in Jacksonville to adapt to widespread use of the automobile. Private. N.R. 1989.
Jacksonville BETHEL BAPTIST INSTITUTIONAL CHURCH 1058 Hogan St. 1904. Greek Revival and Romanesque elements. M.H. Hubbard, architect. 1 story, large square bell tower, several different roof types. For years the focal point for the religious and community life of many of Jacksonville's blacks. Present building replaced one that was destroyed in the fire of 1901, which burned much of the city's downtown. Private. N.R. 1978.
Jacksonville BREWSTER HOSPITAL 915 W. Monroe St. 1885. Masonry Vernacular. 2 stories, red brick, 2-story, full-width porch. Originally the residence of Hans Christian Peters. House later became the city's first black hospital and nurses' training school. Building became the nucleus of a large complex. Closed in 1966. Private. N.R. 1976.
Jacksonville BUCKMAN AND ULMER BUILDING 29-33 W. Monroe St. 1925. Masonry Italian Renaissance. Marsh and Saxelbye, architects. 2 stories. Consists of lower storefront and upstairs office space, cast-stone piers divide the south side into three sections. The piers terminate in a frieze stretching the length of the facade. Private. N.R. 1992.
Jacksonville EDWIN M. STANTON SCHOOL 521 W. Ashley St. 1917. Masonry Vernacular. Mellen C. Greeley, architect. 3 stories, brick, T-shaped with central block and 3 wings. At the time of its completion it was the only high school for blacks in the county. Closed in 1971. Its construction was the result of a legal suit against the Duval County Board of Public Instruction. The suit was the earliest documented example of Jacksonville's blacks pressing for equal educational opportunity. Undergoing restoration for community center. Private. N.R. 1983.
Jacksonville EL MODELO BLOCK 513 W. Bay St. 1886-1889. Eclectic. 3 stories, brick. The largest remaining structure in Jacksonville. Originally it housed El Modelo Cigar Manufacturing Co., one of the largest employers within the city. Functioned as a hotel between 1915 and 1965. Office building. Private. N.R. 1980.
Jacksonville EPPING FOREST Christopher Point. 1927. Mediterranean Revival. Marsh and Saxelbye, architects. 2 stories, masonry, stuccoed, front center entrance tower with open belfry. Elaborate interior. Home of Alfred Du Pont, who after improving manufacturing methods in his ancestors' chemical plants, spent much of his later years in Florida promoting the state and his numerous interests within it. Private. N.R. 1973.
Jacksonville FLORIDA BAPTIST CONVENTION BUILDING (Rogers Building). 218 W. Church St. 1924-1925. Commercial style. H.J. Klutho, architect. 5 stories, brick. One of the last buildings constructed during the city's renaissance, following the great fire of 1901. Housed the Prohibition Bureau and the Intelligence Unit of the U.S. Treasury during the Prohibition Era. Private. N.R. 1984.
Jacksonville JACKSONVILLE TERMINAL COMPLEX 1000 W. Bay St. 1897, 1919. Union Station (1898). Italianate. W.B.W. Hoe, architect. Terminal (1919). Classical Revival. K.M. Murchison, architect. Terminal: 1 story, reinforced concrete, front has Doric portico with 14 colossal limestone columns. The complex includes the Jacksonville Terminal and a portion of the 1897 Union Terminal, which was gutted by fire in 1979. Presently a convention center. Private. N.R. 1976.
Jacksonville JOHN S. SAMMIS HOUSE 207 Noble Circle W. c. 1850s. Classical Revival. 2 and a half stories, frame, 2-story portico with 4 monumental Ionic columns. Pioneer home of John S. Sammis, an early settler of the county. Born in New York, he came to Florida and eventually became a successful lumberman. He was a Unionist who fled the South during the war. Private. N.R. 1979.
Jacksonville LITTLE THEATRE 2032 San Marco Blvd. 1938. Art Deco style. Ivan H. Smith, architect. 2 stories. Stucco exterior. Most distinguishing feature is a side facing double entrance stair on the main facade. Long an important element in Jacksonville's amateur little theater movement. Private. N.R. 1991.
Jacksonville MASONIC TEMPLE 410 Broad St. 1912-1916. Commercial style. Mark and Sheftall, architects. 5 stories, red brick, ornamentation of the street facades includes use of pressed metal, terra-cotta, and glazed brick. Focal point for the black community's commercial and fraternal activities. Building was designed to hold offices of black businesses as well as the temple. Private. N.R. 1980.
Jacksonville MOROCCO TEMPLE 219 Newnan St. 1910-1911. Prairie style with Egyptian motifs. Henry John Klutho, architect. 3 stories concrete, terra-cotta ornamentation. Main entrance set with a 2-story battered architrave with a massive transom on squat Egyptian-style columns The temple is the oldest Shrine affiliate in Florida. Private. N.R. 1979.
Jacksonville OLD JACKSONVILLE FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Carnegie Library). 101 E. Adams St. 1903-1905. Classical Revival. Henry J. Klutho, architect. 2 stories, main facade (south) is framed by a 3-bay colossal classical portico with massive stone columns. One of the first public buildings constructed after the disastrous fire of 1901. Private. N.R. 1987.
Jacksonville OLD ST. LUKE'S HOSPITAL 314 N. Palmetto St. 1878. Ecletic . George Hoover, architect. 2 and a half stories, overhanging hipped roof, small cupola. City's oldest hospital building. Built to provide for penniless or ill travelers at a time when tourism was rapidly growing. Served victims of the 1888 yellow fever epidemic and those of the Great Fire of 1901. Presently used for offices. Private. N.R. 1972.
Jacksonville RED BANK PLANTATION 1230 Green Ridge Rd. 1854-1857. Classical Revival elements. 2 stories, brick, painted white, originally the front had a 2-story wood portico, but in 1937 replaced by a Federal-style porch. Main house of what formerly was a 450-acre plantation. The home of several pioneer families of the city. Private. N.R. 1972.
Jacksonville RIVERSIDE HISTORIC DISTRICT 1871-1935. 2550 buildings, 2120 of historical interest. Styles include Bungalow, Prairie, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, and Mediterranean Revival. Notable structures include Roberts House (Prairie), 1804 Elizabeth Place; 1116 Acosta St. (Classical Revival); 2063 Oak St. (Mediterranean Revival); Riverside Baptist Church, A. Mizner, architect. Opened up in the late 19th century as a fashionable neighborhood, it expanded steadily into the 1930s. Much of the area has retained its social integrity. Gentrification has begun in some areas that had deteriorated. N.R. 1985.
Jacksonville SPRINGFIELD HISTORIC DISTRICT 1882-1930. 119 city blocks with over 1784 buildings over 50 years old. District is mainly composed of frame residential buildings. From the 19th century are examples of Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, and Stick style; from the 20th century are homes in the Prairie, Bungalow, and Mediterranean Revival styles. N.R. 1987.
Jacksonville ST. ANDREW'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH 317 Florida Ave. 1887. Gothic Revival. Robert S. Schuyler, architect. 1 story, brick, massive front corner tower with louvered belfry and steep spire roof. The only major church in the city that survived the 1901 fire, and an excellent example of the work of an architect who designed a number of churches in northeast Florida. Private. N.R. 1976.
Jacksonville ST. JAMES BUILDING (Cohen Bros. Department Store). 117 W. Duval St. 1911-1912. Commercial style. Henry John Klutho, architect. 5 stories, brick, terra-cotta ornamentation, 6-story entrance tower with Sullivanesque cornice ornamentation. At the time of its construction it housed the city's major department store. The name St. James derived from earlier building on site. Used today for offices. Private. N.R. 1976.
Jacksonville THOMAS V. PORTER HOUSE 510 Julia St. 1902 (moved in 1925). Classical Revival. Henry J. Klutho, architect. 2 and a half stories, frame, front portico with 6 fluted Corinthian columns. Home of Texan Thomas V. Porter who came to Jacksonville and established a successful wholesale grocery business. Later he became a developer. Now an architect's office. Private. N.R. 1976.
Jacksonville WOMAN'S CLUB OF JACKSONVILLE 861 Riverside Ave. 1927. Tudor Revival. Mellen C. Greeley, architect. 2 stories. Exterior covered with brick, stucco with half timbering, and rustic wood siding. Complex gabled roof. Club was an early leader in addressing a multitude of social, health, educational, and environmental issues, and provided numerous cultural opportunities for the community. Private. N.R. 1992.
Jacksonville Beach CASA MARINA HOTEL 12 6th Ave. N at First St. 1925. Mission style. Marsh and Saxelbye, architects. 2 stories. Features arched windows, a loggia, wrought iron work, vigas, niches, and other decorative detail. A major hotel during the 1920s, when Jacksonville's beaches were being developed. Private. N.R. 1993.
Vicinity of Jacksonville FORT CAROLINE NATIONAL MEMORIAL 12713 Fort Caroline Rd. 1564. Reconstruction (1964) of old fort. Here the struggle between France and Spain for supremacy in Florida began and for the French virtually ended. The fort, built by the French, was the first in what is today the U.S. Overrun in 1565 by Spanish forces under Pedro MenÄndez de AvilÄs, founder of St. Augustine, and renamed Fort San Mateo. In 1568 burned by the French. Museum. Public. N.R. 1966.
Vicinity of Jacksonville KINGSLEY PLANTATION North tip of Fort George Island. Early 19th century. Plantation house is 2 stories, tabby foundation, remainder frame. Adjoining is the 1791 Don Juan McQueen house built of tabby on 1st floor and frame on 2nd. Also a large brick and tabby barn, a tabby and brick house, and the remains of 24 slave cabins. Originally received from the Spanish Crown by John McQueen in 1791. By 1817 it had been purchased by Zephaniah Kingsley who raised cotton, sugarcane, and other cash crops which were shipped to Charleston. The main plantation house may be the oldest in Florida. Museum. Public. N.R. 1970.
Vicinity of Jacksonville MISSION OF SAN JUAN DEL PUERTO ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE Fort St. George Island. c. 1578-1763. One of the oldest and most long-standing Spanish missions in Florida. Established by Franciscans to missionize the Timucuan and Guale Indians who lived along the coast. Site also was involved in the struggles of Britain and Spain over control of Georgia and Florida in 1702. Private. N.R. 1986.
Vicinity of Jacksonville YELLOW BLUFF FORT New Berlin Rd. 1 mi. S of Fl. 105. 1862. Trenches and earthworks built by Confederates on the St. Johns River in the summer of 1862. Housed cannon to prevent the Union forces from reaching Jacksonville. Changed hands 4 times during the Civil War. Public. N.R. 1970.
Jacksonville CARLING HOTEL (The Roosevelt). 33 W. Adams St. 1926. Italian Renaissance. Thompson, Holmes and Converse, architects. 15 stories. Finished with brick, limestone and terra-cotta. One of Jacksonville's finest hotels. Scene of a fire which killed 22 guests in December 1963. The following year the hotel was closed. Now a retirement facility. Private. N.R. 1991.
Jacksonville CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION 121 E. Duval St. 1907. Late Gothic Revival. M.H. Hubbard, architect. 2 stories. One of the finest examples of Late Gothic Revival church architecture in Florida. Rough-faced Kentucky limestone exterior, carved-stone detail, with lancet window and door openings throughout the building. Private. N.R. 1992.
Jacksonville FLORIDA THEATRE 128-134 E. Forsyth St. 1926-1927. Mediterranean Revival. E. Hall and R. Benjamin, architects. 7 stories. elaborate window surrounds, cartouches, friezes, large marquee. When built it was the finest theater in the city, an excellent example of the "atmospheric" theaters being built during the period. Among others, Eddie Cantor, George Jessel, Sally Rand, Bob Hope, and Elvis Presley have appeared on its stage. Private. N.R. 1982.
Jacksonville HENRY JOHN KLUTHO HOUSE 28-30 W. 9th St. 1908 (moved about 1925). Prairie style. Henry John Klutho, architect. 2 stories, masonry and frame, arcaded entrance loggia. Home of Henry J. Klutho, who designed many of the major buildings in downtown Jacksonville. Klutho lived in it, except between 1929 and 1935, until his death in 1964. Private. N.R. 1978.
Jacksonville MOUNT ZION A.M.E. CHURCH 201 E. Beaver St. 1905. Romanesque Revival. 1905. J.B. Carr, architect. 2 stories. Brick, with arched windows and bell towers. One of 7 churches built in downtown Jacksonville between 1901 and 1910. The church was placed on the Florida Black Heritage Trail in 1992. Private. N.R. 1992.
Jacksonville NAPOLEON BONAPARTE BROWARD HOUSE 9953 Heckscher Dr. 1878. Frame Vernacular with Victorian elements. 2 stories, 2-story veranda on front facade, square tower. Napoleon B. Broward was Governor of Florida between 1905 and 1909. Broward, who came from White Springs, owned a steam tugboat, and later became Duval County sheriff, state representative, and finally governor. Private. N.R. 1972.
Jacksonville PLAZA HOTEL 353 E. Forsyth St. 1903. Masonry Vernacular. 2 stories. Notable for its circular turret topped by a conical roof. Constructed with rough-faced concrete block. An early hotel, it is one of the few hotel buildings of the early period remaining in the downtown. Private. N.R. 1992.
Jacksonville RIVERSIDE BAPTIST CHURCH 2650 Park St. 1924-1925. Romanesque, Byzantine, and Spanish elements. Addison Mizner, architect. 1 and a half stories, limestone, gabled and hipped tile roof sections, double-door entrance beneath compound round arch, sculptured tympanum. An original design by Mizner and believed to be his only religious structure. The radical nature of the design caused the loss of some of the congregation after its completion. Private. N.R. 1972.
Jacksonville SAN JOSE ESTATES GATEHOUSE 1873 Christopher Point Rd. N. 1925. Mediterranean Revival. Marsh and Saxelbye, architects. 2 stories. Stucco covered. A cartouche incised with SJE is over the gatehouse keystone. The last of 4 original gatehouses that marked the north and south entrances to San Jose Estates, a late Florida land boom development in Jacksonville. Private. N.R. 1989.
Jacksonville SAN JOSE ESTATES THEMATIC RESOURCE AREA 1925-1926. 24 individual structures scattered throughout a wide area of San Jose Estates. Spanish Colonial and Mediterranean Revival. Marsh and Saxelbye were architects of several of the buildings. San Jose neighborhood represents an early Florida example of a planned suburban development with a common architectural theme. N.R. 1985.
Jacksonville SOUTH ATLANTIC INVESTMENT CORPORATION BUILDING 35-39 W. Monroe St. 1925. Italian Renaissance. Marsh and Saxelbye, architects. 2 stories, brick. The 2 storefronts are divided by a central bay accentuated with a cast-stone arch. The arch is detailed with stylized dolphin motifs. Private. N.R. 1992.
Jacksonville SPRINGFIELD MULTIPLE PROPERTY LISTING 1882-1930. Includes 21 separate properties within the Springfield Historic District, most within Waterworks, Klutho and Confederate parks. Among the properties are 5 footbridges, 3 vehicle bridges, a park comfort station, and a number of monuments. Public. N.R. 1987.
Jacksonville THE VILLAGE STORE 4216 Oxford Ave. 1923-1938. Masonry Vernacular with Classical Revival elements. Marsh and Saxelbye, architects. 1 story. Gabled wall dormers irregularly placed around the building. One of 3 buildings in the center of the village of Ortega, now absorbed by Jacksonville. Building housed 6 stores. Private. N.R. 1988.
Jacksonville TITLE AND TRUST COMPANY (Florida Building). 200 E. Forsyth St. 1929. Classical Revival. Marsh and Saxelbye, architects. 2 stories. Steel frame encased in concrete. Brick and limestone detail on outside. Main facade has entrance with engaged columns and Doric pilasters. Building played a critical role in the development of Jacksonville following the Great Fire of 1901. Private. N.R. 1990.
Jacksonville YOUNG MEN'S HEBREW ASSOCIATION (Maceo Elk Lodge #8). 712 W. Duval St. 1914. Masonry Vernacular. J.W.H. Hawkins, architect. 1 story. One of the 2 remaining buildings in downtown Jacksonville constructed during the city's historic period. Later the building housed a Black Elk's Lodge. Private. N.R. 1992.