Florida's History Through Its Places
Brooksville CHINSEGUT HILL MANOR HOUSE 22495 Chinsegut Hill Road. Frame Vernacular. Two and one-half stories. The Chinsegut Hill Manor House was constructed in several phases from c. 1847 to c. 1925. The manor house was originally the centerpiece of a vast plantation enterprise before the outbreak of the Civil War and was tied to the early settlement and development of Hernando County. From 1904 to 1954 the house was the home of Raymond Robins and his wife. Robins played in important role in national and international political, social, and economic affairs during the early twentieth century, making the Chinsegut Hill Manor House his year round residence in 1924. Public-State. NR 2003.
Brooksville FRANK SAXON HOUSE 200 Saxon Avenue. Frame Vernacular. c. 1970s. Two stories. The Frank Saxon House is one of the earliest examples of Frame Vernacular architecture with Queen Anne Revival influence in Hernando County. The home was built by Frank Saxon sometime in the 1870s for his bride Tululu Hope, daughter of William Hope, one of the earliest settlers in the county. Frank Saxon served as a member of the Florida legislature representing Hernando County. Private. NR 1998.
Brooksville JUDGE WILLIS RUSSELL 201 South Main Street. 1925. Frame Vernacular. Two-stories. Judge Willis M. Russell, the original owner of the Russell House, was one of Brooksville’s most prominent residents during the 1920s. The home is important locally as a mail-order catalogue house. The house was shipped by rail to Brooksville from Cairo, Illinois, in spring 1925. The house filled two boxcars of the Tampa Northern Railroad and required two days to unload. Private. NR 1999.
Brooksville MAY-STRINGER HOUSE 601 Museum Court. c. 1855. Queen Anne. Four stories. Originally a two-story, four room frame house, circa 1903, the house was transformed into a four-story, twelve room, Queen Anne building, with a three bay façade and a two story wrap around porch. The house is an excellent example of a turn of the century transformation of a simple antebellum house to an elaborate Queen Anne house, and is one of the best examples of Queen Anne style in Hernando County. Public-local. NR 1997.
Brooksville SOUTH BROOKSVILLE AVENUE HISTORIC DISTRICT South Brooksville Avenue from Liberty Street to Early Avenue. The South Brooksville Avenue Historic District is a residential district with buildings representing styles prominent between 1901 and 1944, ranging from Queen Anne to Classical Revival to Bungalow to Mission Style. Most of the residential buildings on South Brooksville Avenue are primarily one to two stories in height, built with a variety of building materials, predominately wood. The district is composed of 17 contributing and 4 noncontributing buildings. Private. NR 1998.
Brooksville WILLIAM SHERMAN JENNINGS HOUSE 48 Olive Street. 1886. Queen Anne/Colonial Revival. Two and one-half stories. The Queen Anne structure was remodeled on the exterior in the early 1930s to reflect the Colonial Revival style. The structure served as the home of Governor William Sherman Jennings and his wife May Mann Jennings. The Jennings sold the home to the Rogers family in the 1910s, and eventually the home became part of the Rogers Christmas House Village. It was J. M. Rogers who changed the residence from predominantly Queen Anne to Colonial Revival with the replacement of the porch with a smaller Colonial Revival portico and the addition of a fanlight over the front entrance. Private. NR 1998.