Florida's History Through Its Places
Greenwood GREAT OAKS (Bryan Mansion) S of Jct. of Fl. 69 and Fl. 71. 1857-1861. Greek Revival. 2 stories, 2-story, full-width portico with fluted Doric columns. Main house of Great Oaks, an antebellum plantation which acquired its name from a row of live oaks lining the road in front of it. Restored in 1961. Private. N.R. 1972.
Marianna JOSEPH W. RUSS , JR. HOUSE 310 W. Lafayette St. 1892-1896, 1910. Classical Revival with Queen Anne elements. 2 and a half stories, frame, conical turret, monumental, semicircular, 2-story porch supported by Corinthian columns. Built by Joseph W. Russ, member of an old Marianna family, in the Queen Anne style. Later (1910) altered to conform to the Classical Revival style. Private. N.R. 1983.
Cypress ROBERT LEE NORTON HOUSE 2045 Church Street. 1904. Queen Anne. Two stories. The Norton House was designed and constructed by Robert Lee Norton, a turpentine business owner. Though not an architect, Norton borrowed from the most popular architectural style of the period, the Queen Anne, and built on a grand scale as a display of prosperity. The use of native materials, off-grade construction and cross ventilation demonstrate ideal accommodation to the local environment. Private. N.R. 1996.
Marianna MARIANNA HISTORIC DISTRICT Bounded by Davis, Park, Jackson, and Wynn Streets. The Marianna Historic District is an approximately 50 acre mixed use area that comprises the main historic commercial, governmental, and residential sections of the city. The district is composed mainly of single family dwellings and commercial buildings that were constructed between circa 1840 and 1929, and contains a historic cemetery, four churches, a U.S. Post Office, and a bank. Primary architectural styles include Frame Vernacular, Masonry Vernacular, Classical Revival, Queen Anne, and Bungalow. Private, Public-local, Public-Federal. N.R. 1997.
Marianna ST. LUKE BAPTIST CHURCH 4476 East Jackson Street. 1921. Gothic Revival. Two stories, brick construction. One of the most influential black churches in the region, Saint Luke Baptist Church was founded in August of 1867. The church experienced rapid growth in the early 20th century under the leadership of Reverend King David Britt, and constructed the current church in 1921 to support the growing congregation. Although the exterior of the church is in the Gothic Style, the interior’s proportions and arrangements reflect auditorium type church planning with a sloping main floor, balcony, and pews arranged in three sections with side aisles. Private. N.R. 2003.