Historical Reports

Florida's History Through Its Places

Colored Border

Jefferson County

407 - Capps
Capps ASA MAY HOUSE N of Jct. of U.S. 19 and U.S. 27. c. 1840. Greek Revival. 1 and a half stories, frame, gabled roof, full-width porch. Home of Asa May, owner of Rosewood Plantation. May, a cotton planter, owned 3500 acres within the county. Private. N.R. 1972.

410 - Lloyd
Lloyd DENNIS-COXETTER HOUSE Fl. 59 and Fl. 158 (Bond St.). c. 1859. Frame Vernacular. 1 story. Side gables, crimped seam metal roof, two interior red brick chimneys. George Elliott Dennis was a prominent Jefferson County cotton planter. Purchased in 1908 by

411 - Lloyd
Lloyd LAFITTE LOG HOUSE Fl. 59. c. 1844. Log Vernacular. 1 story. If construction data are correct (oral tradition), it is the oldest of two antebellum hewn log houses in the county. In poor condition. Private. N.R. 1991.

413 - Lloyd
Lloyd LLOYD HISTORIC DISTRICT c. 1840-1920. 24 buildings, 20 of historical interest. Frame Vernacular, some with Classical elements. Buildings in Lloyd were built in 2 and possibly 3 periods. c. 1855-1859 and 1870-1890. Some evidence suggests buildings were on the site as early as 1840. Public and Private. N.R. 1991.

414 - Lloyd
Lloyd LLOYD RAILROAD DEPOT Jct. of Fl. 59 and Lester Lawrence Rd. c. 1858. Masonry Vernacular. 1 story, brick. Built by Pensacola and Georgia Railroad to provide cotton producing county access to Atlantic and Gulf coast seaports. Decline of use began with the boll weevil infestation and the growth of highway transportation. Private. N.R. 1973.

412 - Lloyd
Lloyd LLOYD-BOND HOUSE Bond St. c. 1864. Frame Vernacular with Classical Revival elements. 1 story, portico and full-width porch at entrance. House the result of joining of 2 double-pen cabins. Home of Walter Lloyd, who enticed the railroad to lay its track

416 - Monticello
Monticello DENHAM-LACY HOUSE 555 Palmer Mill Rd. 1874+. Italianate. 2 stories, frame, octagonal cupola, monumental portico added to west side. One of a few Italianate structures in North Florida. Built for John Denham, Scottish immigrant and cotton merchant. Priv

417 - Monticello
Monticello MONTICELLO HISTORIC DISTRICT 1828-c. 1900. 42 19th-century buildings within 27 blocks. Predominant styles are Frame Vernacular, Victorian, and Classical Revival. Notable structures: Perkins Opera House (Romanesque) and Mays House (Greek Revival). With rare exception, the buildings within the district are 19th century and reflect the typical architectural development of a North Florida town of the period. N.R. 1977.

418 - Monticello
Monticello PALMER HOUSE Palmer Mill Rd. and S. Jefferson. c. 1867. Classical Revival. 1 and a half stories, frame. Home of Dr. J. Dabney Palmer until his death in 1909. Private. N.R. 1978.

419 - Monticello
Monticello PALMER -PERKINS HOUSE 625 W. Palmer Mill Rd. c. 1836. Classical Revival. 2 and a half stories, brick 1st floor. 2nd floor is frame, 2-story pedimented portico with 2nd-story porch. Built for Martin Palmer who came to county in 1820s and established hims

420 - Monticello
Monticello PERKINS OPERA HOUSE Washington St. and Courthouse Sq. 1890. Masonry Vernacular with Romanesque Revival elements. 2 stories, red brick, round, arched 2nd-floor windows. Center of social activities for the county with traveling opera companies, vaudeville shows, and local talent performing there from the turn of the century through the late 1920s. Private. N.R. 1972.

421 - Monticello
Monticello WIRICK -SIMMONS HOUSE Jefferson and Pearl Sts. 1830s. Greek Revival. 2 stories, frame Doric porticos on end and side with 2nd-story balcony. Believed to be the oldest building in Monticello. Built for Methodist circuit rider Adam Wirick. Private. N.R. 1

408 - Vicinity of Lamont
Vicinity of Lamont SAN MIGUEL DE ASILE MISSION SITE 30 mi. SE of Tallahassee. 1607-1704. Site of a mission with a 39-foot-by-64 foot mission structure. The mission was the most westward of 4 set among the Yustaga (Timucua) Indians. Believed to have been burned by English and Creek Indians in 1704. Private. N.R. 1974.

409 - Vicinity of Lamont
Vicinity of Lamont TURNBULL-RITTER HOUSE NW of Lamont off U.S. 19. 1856. Classical Revival. 2 and a half stories, frame, facades have full length porches. Private. N.R. 1979.

415 - Vicinity of Lloyd
Vicinity of Lloyd SAN JOSE DE OCUYA SITE 17 mi. E of Tallahassee. 1600-1703. 1 of 18 Franciscan missions established by the Spanish among the Apalachee Indians between 1633 and 1683. Believed to be the first mission destroyed in one of the English-led raids of Creek Indians, which began in 1703 and continued until 1707. Raids destroyed 32 Spanish settlements in North Florida. Private. N.R. 1973.

422 - Vicinity of Monticello
Vicinity of Monticello LYNDHURST PLANTATION Off Ashville Rd. 1850-1855. Greek Revival. 2 and a half stories, brick 1st floor, frame upper floor, with pedimented 2-story portico. Main house of a typical 19th century Middle Florida plantation. Private. N.R. 1973.

423 - Vicinity of Tallahassee
Vicinity of Tallahassee SAN JUAN DE ASPALAGA SITE 16 mi. E of Tallahassee. 1640-1704. Site of one of the oldest Spanish Franciscan missions established in the Province of Apalachee. Indian village to the south of the mission. Destroyed by English and Creek Indian raiding party in 1704. Private. N.R. 1973.

894 - Lloyd
Lloyd LLOYD WOMAN’S CLUB Bond Street. 1939. Frame Vernacular. One story. In, 1917, the Women’s and Girl’s Club was organized as a part of the Home Demonstration work begun in 1911. Meetings were held in local school rooms and private homes until 1939 when the Woman’s Club building opened. When active, the Girl Scouts, and the 4-H Club met in the building, which was also used as a polling place. Private-local. N.R. 1998.

893 - Monticello
Monticello BETHEL SCHOOL County Road 149. 1903. Frame Vernacular. One story. The Bethel School played a large role in rural education for Jefferson County as an elementary and high school. The school was also the recreation and social center for the small community of Bethel from 1903 through 1943 when the school was closed. Private. N.R. 2001.

895 - Monticello
Monticello MONTICELLO HIGH SCHOOL 425 West Washington Street. 1852/1915. Greek Revival. Two stories. The original 1852 building was a vernacular construction. The building was extended on the east and west sides in 1915, at which time the Corinthian columns were added to the main entrance, and the building assumed a classical character. In 1852, the school was known as the Jefferson Academy, and was the first brick school in the state of Florida. It has been the primary public school in Jefferson County since Florida’s Territorial Period, and the primary high school since 1889. Public-local. N.R. 1999.

Colored Border

  • Return to main page.