Florida's History Through Its Places
Mount Dora LAKESIDE INN 100 N. Alexander St. 1883+ . Frame Vernacular. Complex of 5 buildings, 2 to 3 stories, the first having been built in 1883. 2 built in 1926 and 1929 are stuccoed and have Jacobethan-style elements. The main building, 2 stuccoed buildings, and an Olympic-size pool (1929) define a quadrangle. A highly successful tourist facility of the late 19th century and early 20th century. Recently restored to its 1920s appearance. Private. N.R. 1987.
Mount Dora OLD MOUNT DORA A.C.L. RAILROAD STATION 341 Alexander St. 1915. Frame Vernacular. 1 story. The first railroad to reach Mount Dora was in 1886, when a line connected it to Jacksonville and Tampa. The Mount Dora depot cost $8,223 to build. The last passenger train left Mount Dora in 1950 and freight was discontinued in 1973. Private. N.R. 1992.
Clermont CLERMONT WOMAN'S CLUB 655 Broome St. 1923, 1927. Frame Vernacular. George Hartford, architect. 1 story. T-shaped building with aluminum siding. Built as a community project. Served as the central meeting place for the community until 1940. During World War II used for several defense-related projects. Public. N.R. 1993.
Eustis EUSTIS COMMERCIAL HISTORIC DISTRICT Roughly Lake Eustis, McDonald Avenue, Grove Street, Orange Avenue. The Eustis Commercial Historic District includes portions of six city blocks and a public park in downtown Eustis. The district is located within the original town plat, and was the commercial center for the early community and through the period of 1881-1955. The district contains buildings in the Neo-Classical, Mediterranean Revival, Renaissance Revival, and Italianate styles of architecture. .Private, Public-local. N.R. 2005.
Eustis FERRAN PARK AND THE ALICE McCLELLAND MEMORIAL BANDSHELL Ferran Park Rd. 1918. Mission/Spanish Colonial Revival. Alan J. MacDonough, architect. Ferran Park is a 4.5-acre public recreational area developed between 1918 and 1921. The bandshell is a 2-story stucco building erected in 1926. In 1992 bandshell was restored by a state preservation grant. Public. N.R. 1994.
Eustis MOSES J. TAYLOR HOUSE 117 Diedrich Street. c. 1881. Italianate. Two and one-half stories. Moses J. Taylor was an early settler of Eustis and one of the town founders and early governmental leaders. His house is associated with the formative period of the town’s development and is a significant example of the Italianate style adapted to the climate and materials of Florida. Private. N.R. 1997.
Eustis PURDY VILLA 3045 Eudora Road. c. 1883. Frame Vernacular, eclectic. Two and one-half stories. Purdy Villa embodies the late 19th century eclectic tendency to adapt architectural forms freely, as the house is built in the Georgian foursquare form and incorporates elements of the neo-Classical, Queen Anne, and Italianate styles. The home was built with two internal bathrooms, an unusual feature for 1883. Private. N.R. 2004.
Eustis WILLIAM KIMBROUGH PENDLETON HOUSE (The Palms). 1208 Chesterfield Rd. c. 1876, c. 1886. Queen Anne. William Kimbrough Pendleton, architect. 2 and a half stories, frame, originally 2-story Frame Vernacular, hexagonal observatory tower and other features added (1886). Owner was a pioneer citrus grower from West Virginia. His home became a showplace of Central Florida. Private. N.R. 1983.
Leesburg LEE SCHOOL 207 North Lee Street. Colonial Revival. Two stories. The school includes two Colonial Revival buildings constructed in 1915 and 1933. Opened in 1915, the Lee School was the first “modern” educational facility erected in Leesburg. Both red brick buildings were designed by W.H. Carr and make up the community’s oldest educational institution. Public-local. N.R. 1995.
Okahumpka CAMPBELL HOUSE 3147 County Road 470. ca. 1880. Frame Vernacular. Two stories. Constructed by John and Matilda Campbell, The house and its surrounding agricultural acreage are the last remaining significant evidence of the community’s development in the 1880s. It is one of the few houses from the 19th century remaining in the town of Okahumpka. Private. N.R. 1999.
s HOWEY HOUSE Citrus St. 1926. Mediterranean Revival. Katherine Cotheal Budd, architect. 2 stories, masonry, stuccoed, tile roof, front entrance has spiralled engaged columns, bas-relief panels. Home of the founder of the town, a Northerner who established citrus groves in the area and urged his friends from the North to settle there. Private. N.R. 1983.
Tavares HARRY C. DUNCAN HOUSE 426 Lake Dora Drive. Colonial Revival. The Henry C. Duncan House is among the most historical and architecturally significant buildings in Lake County. Duncan was a prominent community and political leader in Lake County. The Duncan House was designed by Katharine Cotheal Budd, one of the pioneer women architects in the United States, and is one of the best examples of the Colonial Revival architectural style in Florida. Private. N.R. 1997.
Umatilla METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, SOUTH 100 Guerrant Street. Masonry eclectic. One story. The church was designed by local architect Ira A. Rice, and is an excellent example of eclectic mixing of styles in a brick building. The church contains elements of Gothic, Classical, Prairie, and Italian Renaissance Styles. Private. N.R. 2000.