Florida's History Through Its Places
Tallahassee CALHOUN STREET HISTORIC DISTRICT 19th century to early 20th century. The district, an old residential neighborhood, is now mainly offices. Contains approximately 39 buildings of historical interest, ranging from Frame Vernacular to Classical Revival. In the 19th century Calhoun Street was known as "Gold Dust Street." N.R. 1979.
Tallahassee CARNEGIE LIBRARY Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University. 1908. Classical Revival. 2 stories, brick, front portico with 4 Ionic columns. One of the oldest buildings of what formerly was Florida's black university. Money for construction donated by the Carnegie Foundation. Public. N.R. 1978
Tallahassee FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH 102 N. Adams St. 1835-1838. Greek Revival with Gothic Revival elements. 2 stories, brick, front pedimented Doric portico, rectangular tower. One of the oldest buildings in the city and the only church still standing which dates from the territorial period. Private. N.R. 1974.
Tallahassee FLORIDA STATE CAPITOL (Old Capitol) S. Monroe St. 1839+ . Classical Revival. 3 stories, brick, stuccoed, east and west facade have Doric porticos, central dome with cupola. This structure, the third state capitol, housed the first session of the state legislature when Florida received statehood. Original building expanded in 1902, 1923, 1936 and 1947. Building restored to 1902 appearance and contains a museum and offices. Public. N.R. 1973.
Tallahassee GALLIE'S HALL AND BUILDINGS Jefferson and Adams Sts. 1873-1874. 2 and a half stories, brick. Contained the first theater and only public hall in the city from the late 1800s into the 1900s. Because of completion of a new theater and the construction of school auditoriums, it closed in 1910. Recently restored to its 1890s appearance. Private. N.R. 1980.
Tallahassee GOVERNOR JOHN W. MARTIN HOUSE (Apalachee) 1001 Governor's Drive. 1933-1934. Georgian Revival. 1 story, red brick, small pedimented portico with paired Tuscan columns. Home of Governor Martin, who held office from 1925 to 1929. When constructed, it was regarded as a country estate, although today it is well within the city. Believed to be the site of the 1539-40 winter encampment of the Hernando de Soto expedition. N.R. 1986.
Tallahassee LAKE JACKSON MOUNDS Off U.S. 27, N of Tallahassee. A.D. 1300-A.D. 1600. Fort Walton period. The largest known Fort Walton ceremonial center in North Florida. Included on the site are truncated temple mounds, a plaza, and village area. Largest mound has an estimated height of 25 feet and a base of approximately 200 feet by 150 feet. Public. N.R. 1971.
Tallahassee LEON COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL 550 E. Tennessee St. 1936. Italian Renaissance. M. Leo Elliott, architect. E-shaped building. Masonry accented by terra-cotta friezes. Additions are music and science building (1965), gymnasium (1965), and graphic arts building (1983). The school has played a major role in the education of a number of the state's political leaders. Public. N.R. 1993.
Tallahassee LOS ROBLES GATE Intersection of Thomasville Rd. and Meridian Rd. 1926. Spanish Colonial Revival. George Kerr Armes, architect. A 104-foot wide gate with a 33-foot elliptical arch. Includes barrel-tile roof. When constructed the subdivision was outside the city's northern limits. Area was mainly farm and pasture land. Public. N.R. 1989.
Tallahassee MAGNOLIA HEIGHTS HISTORIC DISTRICT 701 to 1005 E. Park Ave. and Cadiz St. 1899-1934. Approximately 45 buildings, 30 of which were built between 1899 and 1934, in a 5-block area. Predominant styles are Frame Vernacular and Queen Anne. Locally significant because it illustrates the early stages of suburban development in the city. Settled mainly by newcomers, many of whom came to work for the state. Governor LeRoy Collins grew up here. N.R. 1984.
Tallahassee OLD FORT BRADEN SCHOOL Jackson Bluff Rd. 1926. Frame Vernacular. E.D. Fitchner, architect. 1 story. Gable on hipped roof, 6 chimneys. Was the most important educational facility in western Leon County for many years. Built to consolidate the area's many one-room school houses. Presently not in use. Public. N.R. 1994.
Tallahassee PARK AVENUE HISTORIC DISTRICT 19th century to early 20th century. Includes both residential and commercial buildings located along Park Ave. from Macomb St. to Gadsden St. Frame Vernacular is the most common style, but a number of homes are Classical Revival. A chain of public parks links this district. N.R. 1979.
Tallahassee SAN LUIS DE APALACHE Tennessee St. and Ocala Rd. 1633, 1663. Site of mission and fort complex, typical of Spanish mission system in Florida. Administrative center for Apalachee missions of the Franciscan religious order. Burned by British and Creek Indians in 1704. Museum. Public. N.R. 1966.
Tallahassee ST. JOHNS EPISCOPAL CHURCH 211 N. Monroe St. 1881+ . Gothic Revival. 1 story, red brick, south facade has a tower. Excellent example of Gothic Revival within the city. Congregation formed in 1827, the 3rd oldest Episcopal congregation in the state. Within its congregation have been several governors and other high-ranking state political figures. Private. N.R. 1978.
Vicinity of Iamonia TALL TIMBERS PLANTATION DISTRICT 2 mi. E of intersection of CR 155 and CR 12. c. 1895. 13 buildings, 11 of historical interest. Frame Vernacular. The oldest is the Beadel House (1895). Antebellum cotton plantation converted to a quail hunting plantation in 1895. Site of extensive experimentation in woodland and game management. Private. N.R. 1989.
Vicinity of Tallahassee BELLEVUE (Murat House) Tallahassee Museum of History and Natural Science. Early 19th century (moved in 1967). Colonial Revival elements. 1 and a half stories, frame, recessed full-width front and rear porches. Once the main residence of a 500-acre plantation. Home of Catherine Murat, widow of Napoleon's nephew Prince Achille Murat, following his death. House museum. Public. N.R. 1971.
Vicinity of Tallahassee BRADLEY'S COUNTRY STORE COMPLEX Fl. 151, 15 mi. NE of Tallahassee. 1893-1970. 17 buildings on 31 acres, mainly Frame Vernacular. Homestead built between 1893 and 1903, other structures newer. For 3 generations the Bradleys have maintained a store on the premises. The related homestead and farm buildings with the store make-up a complex which could be described as a living museum. Private. N.R. 1984.
Chaires CHAIRES COMMUNITY HISTORIC DISTRICT Roughly along Chaires Cross Road, Road to the Lake , and Hancock Street. Florida Territorial Period settlers, the Chaires family, farmed the area and created the county’s first surveyed plat. The district consists of 15 contributing resources; residential, religious, educational, and out buildings. The historic buildings date from the 1850s through the 1940s and represent excellent examples of frame vernacular construction and a 1920s Romanesque Revival Styled school. Private, Public-local. NR 2000
Miccosukee AVERITT-WINCHESTER HOUSE West side of FL 59, south of junction with Moccasin Gap-Cromartie Rd. 1881. Frame vernacular. One story, gable-front-and-wing. The Averitt-Winchester House is the oldest residence in the community, and its owners were from the earliest settler families of the area. The house features prominent eave returns, in the Classical Revival style, an etched glass front door light, and decorative fireplaces. Private. N.R. 1996
Miccosukee MICCOSUKEE METHODIST CHURCH County Road 59, south of jct. with FL 151. 1876. Frame vernacular. One-story, front-gabled structure with a steeple. Originally known as Concord Methodist Church, the Miccosukee Methodist Church building was constructed in 1876 and is an outstanding example of a late nineteenth century frame vernacular church. Private. NR 1996
St. Augustine HORACE WALKER HOUSE 33 Old Mission Road. ca. 1888. Masonry Vernacular. Two stories. The residence was built using custom mold-formed concrete blocks known at the time as “artificial stone.” Concrete block construction was in a developmental stage in the late 19th century, and the Walker Blocks exhibit typical characteristics of smooth/rough opposite surfaces, and iron rod reinforcement. The home was built along eclectic lines, reflecting contemporary Moorish Revival buildings within St. Augustine. The house is rare for both its style and material. Private. NR 1998
Tallahassee BANNERMAN PLANTATION 13426 Meridian Road North. Frame Vernacular, Greek Revival, Federal. Two story plantation dwelling, 1852. The structure is one of few remaining antebellum residences in rural Leon County. The rural landscape surrounding the house includes a contributing African-American cemetery site, four historic archaeological sites, and contains three plantation roads, historic fields, five non-contributing twentieth century farm buildings, and a farm pond reconfigured in the 1960s. Private. N.R. 2002.
Tallahassee BLACKWOOD-HARWOOD PLANTATIONS CEMETERY NE of Jct. FL 263 and I-10. Blackwood was one of the region’s earliest plantations, settled in 1828 by Charles and Janet Black of Beaufort, North Carolina. Janet Black was the daughter of Robert Raymond Reid who was the Florida Territorial Governor from 1839-1841. Reid is buried in the cemetery as well as Florida governor Millard Fillmore Caldwell. The cemetery contains 13 graves, 10 of which are marked, including three stone markers from Florida’s Territorial Period that are counted as contributing objects. Earliest gravesite is that of Charles Black, dated 1830. Private. N.R. 1999.
Tallahassee CAROLINE BREVARD GRAMMAR SCHOOL 727 South Calhoun Street. 1925. Mediterranean Revival. Two stories, brick. Features a cross-gabled red tile roof, arched windows, and decorative details. Designed by noted southern architect, William A. Edwards, the building was the first consolidated school in Leon County and is the oldest school building in Tallahassee. The building was sold to the state in 1964, and in 1966 the name of the building was changed to the Bloxham Building. Public-state. NR 1987
Tallahassee CASCADES PARK Bounded by Apalachee Pkwy, Bloxham, Suwannee, Monroe and Meridian Sts. 1820-1840. 35 acres which formed the nucleus of the area selected for the capital. Included within it is the Prime Meridian marker, which determines the starting point of all state land surveys. Public. N.R. 1971.
Tallahassee COVINGTON HOUSE 328 Cortez St. 1927. French Renaissance. William A. Edwards, architect. 1 and a half stories. Stuccoed, hollow-clay tile roof. Includes garage and servants' quarters and stable. Built in Los Robles subdivision. Blanche Covington was one of Florida's best known horticulturalists. Private. N.R. 1989.
Tallahassee DAVID S. WALKER LIBRARY 209 E. Park Ave. 1903. Eclectic. 2 stories, brick, 2-story columns at entrance. Named after an early supporter of a library in Tallahassee on land donated by his widow. The library contributed greatly to the educational and cultural life of early 20th century Tallahassee. Private. N.R. 1976.
Tallahassee EXCHANGE BANK BUILDING 201 S. Monroe St. 1927. Eclectic. Edwards and Sayward, architects. 6 stories, buff brick, limestone trim, terra-cotta wall ornamentation in a Neo-Egyptian and Greek design. The first modern private office building in Tallahassee. One of the few downtown buildings to have maintained its architectural integrity. Private. N.R. 1984.
Tallahassee GOODWOOD (Old Croom Mansion) 1500 Miccosukee Rd. 1844. Greek Revival. George Anderson, architect. 2 stories, brick, large octagonal cupola, 1-story veranda, numerous outbuildings. Located on a tract of land originally part of the Lafayette Land Grant. On the grounds were once a private race track, formal English gardens and bridle paths. Private. N.R. 1972. Goodwood Plantation Web Site
Tallahassee GREENE-LEWIS HOUSE 535 West College Avenue. Ca. 1916. Bungalow/Craftsman. One and two stories, second story added onto the rear of the home in the 1950s. The Greene-Lewis House is regarded as the best example of Craftsman architecture in Leon County. The structure features prominent battered, stucco columns, broad porch, and Japanese influenced cross-beam roof supports over the porch. The interior features other Craftsman characteristics such as built in cabinets, boxed beams within the ceilings, and leaded glass in the cabinet doors. Private. NR 1998
Tallahassee GREENWOOD CEMETERY Old Bainbridge Road. Greenwood cemetery was established as a private cemetery in 1937 when the City of Tallahassee closed the public Old City Cemetery and Oakland Cemetery to African-American burials. In response, the Greenwood Cemetery Association was formed, purchased, and platted the property, and sold burial lots. The cemetery remains in current use with over 1000 burials, all African-American. The cemetery displays a wide variety of handmade concrete markers, made by largely unknown local designers, which are significant as folk art. Public-local. NR 2003
Tallahassee HOTEL FLORIDAN
Tallahassee JOHN GILMORE RILEY HOUSE 419 E. Jefferson Street. ca. 1892 Wood frame, clap board siding. One and two stories, second story added to rear of building at a later date. John Gilmore Riley was an early black educator in Tallahassee. Mr. Riley worked for the School Board from the 1880s until 1926 and lived in the home on Jefferson Street from the 1890s to his death in 1955. Public. NR 1978
Tallahassee KILLEARN PLANTATION ARCHEOLOGICAL AND HISTORIC DISTRICT 3540 Thomasville Road. Also known as Alfred B. Maclay State Gardens, the Killearn Plantation Archeological and Historic District is a 1,184 acre tract. Begun in 1924, Killearn Gardens is a blend of native and exotic plantings. The garden is the most prominent formal public garden in the county, and one of the finest in the state park system. The building complex and Maclay House are excellent examples of the resort plantation-era architecture. The district also features a number of pre-historic and historic archeological sites. The periods of significance of contributing resources are 1000BC-AD1704 and 1824-1952. Public-State. NR 2002.
Tallahassee LEWIS HOUSE 3117 Okeeheepkee Rd. 1954. Hemicycle style. Frank Lloyd Wright, architect. 2 stories, masonry and frame, plan of the house is characterized by both concentric and intersecting circles. The only home designed by Wright within Florida, it is associated with the architect's last and shortest stylistic phase, called Hemicycle. Private. N.R. 1979.
Tallahassee OLD CITY WATERWORKS E. Gaines St. and S. Gadsden St. 1923. Masonry Vernacular. 1 story, brick, stuccoed, 2 steeply pitched truncated pyramids accent the roof. The last of several waterworks built on the site. Significant as the remnant of a "modern" civil engineering improvement implemented in the city. Public. N.R. 1979.
Tallahassee ROBERTS FARM HISTORIC AND ARCHEOLOGICAL DISTRICT Roberts Road, one mile east of Centerville Road. The district includes the 1830/1863 Theus-Roberts House as well as sixteen contributing archeological sites. The frame vernacular house is one of the last remaining examples of rural antebellum architecture in Leon County. Private. NR 1995
Tallahassee ROLLINS HOUSE 5456 Rollins Pointe. 1870. Frame Vernacular. One story, gable roof. Upon emancipation from slavery, Charles and Susan Rollins quickly became landowners and successful community and business leaders. Mr. Rollins, a carpenter, built the home at Rollins Pointe. The home is a sophisticated blend of several vernacular styles, featuring a Queen Anne style bay with pediment and a Georgian interior arrangement with a central hall flanked by major rooms that were heated by paired internal chimneys. Private. NR 2001
Tallahassee RUGE HALL 655 West Jefferson Street. 1931. Late Gothic Revival. Of brick construction, the structure incorporates elements from the Tudor and Jacobean periods of architecture such as the main façade, which contains an arcade with Tudor arches. Designed by the prominent Tallahassee architect Edward D. Fitchner, the building, which served as the Episcopal student center, was the first religious facility affiliated with the Florida State College for Women, later Florida State University. Private. NR 1997.
Tallahassee SMOKY HOLLOW HISTORIC DISTRICT Roughly bordered by E. Lafayette Street, CSX railroad tracks, Myers Park, and Myers Park Lane. The residences and one church within the district, all built from 1906 to 1944, are the only concentration of historic resources that remain from the once large, African-American neighborhood of Smoky Hollow. The district contains outstanding examples of Frame Vernacular, shotgun, and double-shotgun house forms. Private. NR 2000.
Tallahassee THE COLUMNS 100 N. Duval St. c. 1830 (moved in 1971). Greek Revival. 2 and a half stories, brick, 2-story pedimented entrance portico. Built for William W. Williams, first president of the Bank of Florida. Originally the house served as residence and bank. One of the oldest houses in Tallahassee. Houses the Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce. Private. N.R. 1975.
Vicinity of Tallahassee ESCAMBE (San Cosmo y San Damias de Escambe) 3 mi. NW of Tallahassee. mid-17th century. Site of Spanish Franciscan mission burned by the British in 1704. Contains the church complex, cemetery, Indian village. There is evidence of an earlier, prehistoric village. Private-Public. N.R. 1971.
Vicinity of Tallahassee PISGAH UNITED METHODIST CHURCH Off Fl. 151, N of Tallahassee. 1858-1859. Greek Revival elements. 1 and a half stories, frame. The third structure built to accommodate the area's Methodists. Following the Civil War the congregation dwindled, but today it has regained its former vitality. Private. N.R. 1974.
Vicinity of Tallahassee SAN PEDRO Y SAN PABLO DE PATALE 6 mi. E of Tallahassee on Buck Lake Rd. mid-17th century. Site of one of the first of 9 missions established in the Apalachee Province by Franciscans during the westward expansion of the Spanish from St. Augustine. Attacked and burned by British and Creek Indian forces in 1704. Private. N.R. 1972.
Vicinity of Woodville NATURAL BRIDGE BATTLEFIELD Natural Bridge Rd. In March 1865 site of a battle between a Federal force of approximately 650 men and a Confederate force of roughly the same number. Confederates occupied defensive positions beside a narrow stretch of firm land which the Union forces endeavored to cross. Union forces routed with heavy casualties. Public. N.R. 1970.