Florida's History Through Its Places
ALFRED AYER HOUSE on U.S. 441A. c. 1885. Frame Vernacular with Classical Revival elements. 2 stories. Excellent example of Classical Revival style as applied to a simple vernacular form. Original owner was one of the pioneer citrus growers in the county. Private. N.R. 1993.
MOUNT ZION A.M.E. CHURCH 623 S. Magnolia Ave. 1891. Masonry Vernacular. Levi Alexander, Sr., architect. 1 story, brick, with a 2-story pyramidal roofed tower. Important center for social and civic functions of the black community. The only surviving brick 19th-century religious structure in Ocala. Private. N.R. 1979.
Ocala. RITZ APARTMENTS 1205 E. Silver Springs Blvd. 1925. Mediterranean Revival. Frederick T. Uezzell, architect. 4 2 and a half story buildings connected by a 1-story wing. Masonry, stuccoed, balconies with wrought-iron rails. The apartments introduced a new architectural style to Ocala during the Florida land boom; one of the first apartment complexes in the city. Private. N.R. 1986.
McIntosh McINTOSH HISTORIC DISTRICT 1885-1930. 38 blocks in area. Predominant structures are 2-story Frame and Masonry Vernacular buildings, many with Victorian, Gothic, and Queen Anne stylistic influences. A number of bungalows built in early 20th century. Town developed as a citrus and vegetable center following the completion of the Florida Southern Railroad to it. N.R. 1983.
Ocala OCALA HISTORIC DISTRICT 1880-1930. Total area of 173 acres. Various Revival styles, Frame Vernacular, and bungalows. Notable structure is the Dunn Residence, 416 SE Fort King Ave., ornate Queen Anne. The district was associated with many of the most prominent residents of Ocala during its formative period. N.R. 1984.
Ocala TUSCAWILLA HISTORIC DISTRICT 1877-1930. 46 buildings, 36 of historical interest. Frame Vernacular with a few Revival structures. One of the oldest sections of Ocala. The district comprises mainly wood frame residences and included a former synagogue, a former woman's club and a park. Public and Private. N.R. 1988.
Orange Springs ORANGE SPRINGS METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH AND CEMETERY S.R. 315 and Church St. c. 1852, 1867. Frame Vernacular. Only structure remaining from town's earliest period. Oldest extant church in Marion County. Local materials used. Private. N.R. 1988.
East Lake Weir JAMES RILEY JOSSELYN HOUSE 13845 Alt. U.S. 27. c. 1895. Frame Vernacular, Colonial Revival elements. 2 and a half stories. Original owner was one of Marion County's most successful citrus growers. Josselyn came from Massachusetts. Most citrus growers of the area came from the North. Private. N.R. 1993.