Historical Reports

Florida's History Through Its Places

Colored Border

Pasco County

880 - Dade City
Dade City CHURCH STREET HISTORIC DISTRICT Along Church Street, between 9th and 17th Streets. 1886-1946. 56 buildings, 35 of historical interest. District also features a historic water tower. Predominant architectural styles: Frame Vernacular, Bungalow/Craftsman, Late Victorian, Queen Anne, and Gothic Revival. Private, public-local. N.R. 1997.

881 - Dade City
Dade City CITY ATLANTIC COAST LINE RAILROAD DEPOT E. side of Lakeland Road at E. Meridian Avenue. ca. 1912. Masonry Vernacular. One story. The red brick building features Folk Victorian detailing, including carved wood knee support braces and multi-paned transoms. Of four historic railroad depots that served Dade City, the Dade City Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Depot is the only one that remains. Private. N.R. 1994.

882 - Dade City
Dade City DADE CITY WOMAN’S CLUB 37922 Palm Avenue. 1926. Prairie Style. One story. The stylistic character of the building is a combination of Prairie Style and Mediterranean Revival features and embodies distinctive features of clubhouses erected by Florida woman’s clubs, such as a meeting hall, stage, and separate dining areas to host club meetings and other events. The clubhouse has been the location of many of the community’s major events ranging from high school dances to political debates. Private. N.R. 2003

879 - Elfers
Elfers SAMUEL BAKER HOUSE 5744 Moog Road. ca. 1882. Frame Vernacular. One and a half stories. Built by pioneer businessman Samuel Baker. The wood frame building was assembled with wooden pegs and built by an unknown shipwright as a ship would be built. The building is one of the oldest remaining buildings in Pasco County and is the last remaining house in West Pasco County with a “dog trot” floor plan. Public-local. N.R. 1997.

883 - Holiday
Holiday CHARLES B. ANDERSON HOUSE 5744 Moog Road. Frame vernacular. Two stories. Designed by architect Garry Boyle, the home was built in 1938 for Charles Anderson, a prominent citrus grower. The home features many amenities that are unique in Depression-era houses, including an electric garage door opener, solar water heater, garbage incinerator, telephone room, and continuous electric outlets. Public-local. N.R. 1996

884 - New Port Richey
New Port Richey HACIENDA HOTEL 5621 Main Street. 1927. Mediterranean Revival. Two stories, modified H-shaped plan, two hip roofed towers, central courtyard, and continuous foundation. Designed by architect Thomas Reed Martin, a leading architect in Florida from the 1920s to the 1950s. Brothers James Meighan and Thomas Meighan, a popular silent film star, were responsible for building the hotel and played an important role in the promotion of New Port Richey in the 1920s and 1930s. Private. N.R. 1996.

885 - St. Leo
St. Leo ST. LEO ABBEY HISTORIC DISTRICT 33701 State Road 52. Italian Romanesque Revival. Consists of three buildings: St. Leo Hall, built between 1912-1920; the Carmel Convent, built between 1941-1942; and the Church of the Holy Cross, started in 1936 and completed in 1948. Located on the campus of St. Leo College, all three buildings are of masonry construction. The concrete blocks were made on site by members of the monastic community who participated directly in the construction of the abbey’s buildings. Private. N.R. 1998.

886 - Zephyrhills
Zephyrhills CAPTAIN HAROLD B. JEFFRIES HOUSE 38537 5th Avenue. 1911. Vernacular, drop siding. Two-stories. Constructed for Captain Harold B. Jeffries, the founder of Zephyrhills, originally known as Abbott, the Jeffries House is one of the oldest residences in the town of Zephyrhills. The building is an excellent example of local vernacular architecture, as elements such as the wrap-around porch and multiple windows for cross-ventilation were important adaptations for Florida’s warm climate, particularly before the advent of air-conditioning. Private. N.R. 1995.

887 - Zephyrhills
Zephyrhills ZEPHYRHILLS DOWNTOWN HISTORIC DISTRICT Roughly bounded by South Avenue, 9th Avenue, 7th Street and 11th Street. 1910-1950. 209 buildings, 126 of historical interest. A variety of residential and commercial styles are represented in the district, including Frame Vernacular and Craftsman residential styles and Masonry Vernacular and Art Deco commercial styles. Private, public-local. N.R. 2001.

Colored Border

  • Return to main page.