Florida's History Through Its Places
Barberville BARBERVILLE CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL 1776 Lightfoot Lane. 1920. Frame Vernacular with Colonial Revival and Craftsman elements. Francis Miller, architect. 1 story. 2 separate buildings joined by a breezeway. Building served the educational needs of northwestern Volusia County for many decades. Now a museum complex that illustrates the history of the county in late 19th and early 20th centuries. Public. N.R. 1993.
Cassadaga SOUTHERN CASSADAGA SPIRITUALIST CAMP MEETING ASSOCIATION HISTORIC DISTRICT 1895-1938. 80 buildings, 67 of historical interest. Mostly Frame Vernacular residences, but several commercial, religious, and apartment buildings. Cassadaga was founded in 1895 as a religious community. It came to be the group's second largest center after its New York headquarters. Still a Spiritualist center. Private. N.R. 1991.
Daytona Beach AMOS KLING HOUSE 220-222 Magnolia Ave. 1907. Frame Vernacular. 2 and a half stories. Irregular-shaped building with weatherboard siding and wood shingle roof. Winter home of Kling, a prominent Ohio businessman and father-in-law of Warren G. Harding, president of the United States. Private. N.R. 1993.
Daytona Beach EL PINO PARQUE HISTORIC DISTRICT 1923-1936. 14 buildings, 11 of historical interest. Mainly Revival styles. A distinctive collection of residential architecture constructed between 1924 and 1936. Developed as one of the most exclusive subdivisions on Daytona Beach during its land boom in the middle 1920s. Private. N.R. 1993.
Daytona Beach HOWARD THURMAN HOUSE 614 Whitehall St. c. 1888. Frame Vernacular. 2 stories. Shed roof, front porch, breezeway at the rear leads to a reconstructed detached kitchen. Thurman, raised in Daytona Beach, was the first African-American to hold the post of dean at a predominately white university (Boston University). Thurman was also the first black in Florida to finish the 8th grade. Now a museum. Private. N.R. 1990.
Daytona Beach MARY McLEOD BETHUNE HOUSE Bethune-Cookman College campus. 1920s. Frame Vernacular. 2 and a half stories, front entrance with partially enclosed hipped porch. Home of the founder of Bethune-Cookman College and leading spokesperson for the concerns of black Americans. Private. N.R. 1974.
Daytona Beach MERCHANTS BANK BUILDING 252 S. Beach St. 1910 and 1926. Beaux Arts. W.B. Talley, architect. 2 stories, Ionic columns, large arched windows, triangular pediment. Representative of commercial and economic life of Daytona Beach through 2 world wars. The facade of the building has become a landmark of the cityscape. Private. N.R. 1986.
Daytona Beach OLDS HALL (Arroyo Garden Hotel) 340 S. Ridgewood Ave. 1923. Mediterranean Revival. Jacob Espedahal, architect. 4 stories. U-shaped building with a central block and north and south wings. Exterior is stucco. Virtually all apartments retain original art glass. An old hotel that in 1942 became a retirement home for ministers and missionaries. Private. N.R. 1993.
Daytona Beach S. CORNELIA YOUNG MEMORIAL LIBRARY 302 Vermont Ave. 1916, 1930. Mission and Mediterranean Revival. D.F. Fuquay and Harry M. Griffin, architects. 2 stories. Gabled roofs and a smooth stucco exterior. Original design by Fuquay, the 1930 addition by Griffin. Oldest library in the city. Built in response to the influx of seasonal visitors and retirees. Public. N.R. 1992.
Daytona Beach S.H. KRESS AND COMPANY BUILDING 140 S. Beach St. 1932. Art Deco. Edward F. Sibbert, architect. 3 stories, buff brick, parapet walls with terra-cotta copings, terra-cotta ornamentation on 2 facades. An outstanding example of Art Deco style in the city. The design is typical of many Kress Company buildings constructed during the period. Private. N.R. 1983.
Daytona Beach SOUTH BEACH STREET HISTORIC DISTRICT 1876-1938. 196 buildings, 157 or historical significance. Frame Vernacular, Bungalow, Art Deco predominate. Runs parallel to the Halifax River and reflects the development of the city from the 1870s to the 1930s. The northern 2 blocks consist of a commercial district with many Masonry Vernacular buildings. Public and Private. N.R. 1988.
Daytona Beach THE ABBEY (Thompson's General Store, Rhodes House) 426 S. Peach St. c. 1875, 1904. Frame Vernacular with Colonial Revival elements. 2 stories, weatherboard siding, flat-roofed portico over main entrance. Originally used as a store by Lawrence Thompson. Converted to house in 1904 when acquired by Adelaide Rhodes from Ohio. One of oldest structures in city. Private. N.R. 1987.
Daytona Beach U.S. POST OFFICE 220 N. Beach St. 1932. Mediterranean Revival. Harry M. Griffin, architect. 2 stories. The front portico is faced with stone from the Florida Keys. A series of 5 arches frame the windows of the first floor. 4 cast iron light standards on limestone bases are situated on either side of the 2 front entrances. Built as a work project in the Depression. Public. N.R. 1988.
DeLand DeLAND HALL Stetson University Campus. 1884+. Stick style. 2 and a half stories, projected bell tower. The oldest building in Florida continuously associated with higher education. Built by Henry A. DeLand, a New Yorker, who founded DeLand. He deeded the building to the university. Private. N.R. 1983.
DeLand DOWNTOWN DELAND HISTORIC DISTRICT 1886-1929. 86 buildings, 68 of historical interest. Masonry Vernacular predominate. The physical development of the district began in the late 1870s, but the early buildings that survive today were built after 1886. The district has lost some physical integrity resulting largely from poor maintenance, and the alteration or destruction of some structures. Sufficient numbers remain to convey a sense of the historic period. Public and Private. N.R. 1987.
DeLand OLD DELAND MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Stone St. 1920, 1926. Italian Renaissance and Masonry Vernacular. J.T. Cairns, F.M. Miller, and Gouveneur M. Peek, architects. 2 and a half stories. The 1920 building (2 and a half stories, designed by Cairns and Miller); the addition (1 story) designed by Peek. The addition was built for black patients. Although vacant, they still represent early health facilities in the area. Public. N.R. 1989.
DeLand STETSON UNIVERSITY CAMPUS HISTORIC DISTRICT 1884-1934. 14 buildings, 11 of historical interest. Second Empire, Colonial and Mediterranean Revival predominate. Frame and masonry buildings associated with one of Florida's oldest institutions of higher education. DeLand Hall, built in 1884, is the earliest building. Private. N.R. 1991.
DeLand WEST DELAND RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT 1884-1942. 472 buildings, 375 of historical interest. Frame Vernacular, Bungalow, and various Revival styles. District is mainly single-family residences dating from the late 19th century. District contains schools, churches, and other noncommercial buildings. Public and Private. N.R. 1992.
Holly Hill HOLLY HILL MUNICIPAL BUILDING 1065 Ridgewood Ave. 1942. Masonry Vernacular. Alan J. MacDonough, architect. 1 story. Constructed of local coquina. Begun as a public works project during the Depression, it was completed in 1942. It served as the city hall, police and fire station. Public. N.R. 1993.
Lake Helen AMMA STEVENS HOUSE 201 E. Kicklighter Rd. 1895. Frame Vernacular. 2 and a half stories. One of the oldest and largest examples of Frame Vernacular construction in Lake Helen. Winter residence of Stevens, a wealthy and influential widow from Michigan who had ties with the nearby Spiritualist community of Cassadaga. Private. N.R. 1993.
Lake Helen LAKE HELEN HISTORIC DISTRICT 1885-1940. 79 buildings, 71 of historical interest. Several Revival styles, early 20th century American styles. The majority of buildings were constructed as residences. 3 churches, commercial buildings, a library and school in the district. Many buildings reflect Revival style popular during the period district developed. Public and Private. N.R. 1993.
New Smyrna Beach NEW SMYRNA BEACH HISTORIC DISTRICT 1885-1935. 413 buildings, 314 of historical interest. Frame and Masonry Vernacular and some Revival styles predominate. Majority of the structures are Vernacular. Coquina use on porch piers, pedestals and copings. Residences, commercial, educational and government buildings represented. Public and Private. N.R. 1990.
New Smyrna Beach WOMAN'S CLUB OF NEW SMYRNA 403 Magnolia St. 1924, 1934. Masonry Vernacular with Mediterranean Revival elements. Philip H. Reed and Harry M. Griffin, architects. 1 story. Large fireplace in the interior made of coquina. Although built in 1924, its interior was not completed until 1934. Continues as social center for the community. Private. N.R. 1989.
Ormond Beach DIX HOUSE 178 N. Beach St. 1878-1880. Frame Vernacular. 2 and a half stories. Side-gabled L-shaped house, 2-story veranda. One of only 2 houses in the town surviving from the 1870s. The Dix sisters came from Connecticut and built the home there as their winter residence. Later operated as a boarding house. Private. N.R. 1989.
Ormond Beach ORMOND HOTEL 15 E. Granada Blvd. 1888, 1902, 1905, 1909. Frame Vernacular. George Penfield, architect. A complex which includes a 4-story, central block and 3 wings of 4 and 5 stories. A huge sprawling frame structure, the last of Henry Flagler's frame luxury hotels. After World War I, with the rise of tourism farther down the coast, patronage declined. Private. N.R. 1980.
Ormond Beach TALAHLOKA 19 Orchard Lane. 1886, 1911. Frame Vernacular. 2 stories. A hunting lodge constructed of palmetto logs. 2-story veranda surrounds the structure. Built in the style of lodges of the Adirondack Mts. A 19th-century residence made from unusual local materials. John Anderson, a local developer from Portland, Maine, had it built. Private. N.R. 1989.
Ormond Beach THE CASEMENTS 25 Riverside Drive. Early 1890s. Shingle style. 2 stories, enclosed porch. Purchased by John D. Rockefeller in 1918 and used as his winter home until his death in 1937. The name "Casements" is believed derived from the many casement windows in the living room. Presently used as municipal cultural center. Public. N.R. 1972.
Ponce Inlet PONCE DE LEON INLET LIGHTHOUSE S. Peninsula Dr. 1887. Conical. Brick, 168-foot tall, part of a complex that includes 3 brick 1-story buildings. The 3rd lighthouse built in the area, the 1st having been established by the British. Navigation along the coast here is especially treacherous. Museum. Public. N.R. 1972.
Port Orange GAMBLE PLACE HISTORIC DISTRICT 1907-1938. 27 buildings, 25 of historical interest. Frame Vernacular predominate. Winter retreat of James N. Gamble, one of the owners of Proctor and Gamble, manufacturer of home products. Many distinguished people visited here, including President Howard Taft and John D. Rockefeller. Includes a chalet called Snow White's Cottage erected in 1938 as a playhouse. Also a Witch's Hut built in same year. Private. N.R. 1993.
Vicinity of New Smyrna Beach NEW SMYRNA SUGAR MILL RUINS 1 mi. W of New Smyrna Beach off Fl. 44. 1830. In 1830 a steam sugar and saw mill were erected; 5 years later the mills and other buildings were destroyed by Indians. Site further altered by soldiers who were garrisoned there during the Seminole Wars. Public. N.R. 1970.
Vicinity of New Smyrna Beach TURTLE MOUND 9 mi. S of New Smyrna Beach on Fl. A1A. A.D. 800-A.D. 1400. St. Johns period. One of the largest prehistoric shell middens along this section of the East Coast. Mound is roughly 30 feet high. Within it have been found shells, animal bones, and pottery fragments. Public. N.R. 1970.
Vicinity of Ormond Beach NOCOROCO (Tomoka State Park) 2 mi. N of Ormond Beach. A.D. 1500-A.D. 1600. St. Johns period. The site of a Timucuan village first described by Alvaro Mexia in 1605. Excavations were conducted on the site in the 1940s and revealed that European acculturation had just begun at the time of Mexia's visit. Museum. Public. N.R. 1973.
Vicinity of Port Orange SPRUCE CREEK MOUND COMPLEX SW bank of Spruce Creek. A.D. 800-A.D. 1565. St. Johns II period. A large pyramidal sand mound and a smaller sand mound. First discovered in 1874. When excavated in that year a number of skeletons found. Many artifacts from the Colonial period have been discovered in the mound. Public. N.R. 1990.
Ormond Beach HISTORIC WINTER RESIDENCES OF ORMOND BEACH. 1878-1925. 7 buildings, all of historical interest. Frame Vernacular. Multiple property group of 7 residences, all built before 1900. One house, the John Anderson Lodge at 71 Orchard Lane, was built for the developer of Ormond Beach. Anderson came from Portland, Oregon. Private. N.R. 1989.