Florida's History Through Its Places
Vicinity of St. Marks ST. MARKS LIGHTHOUSE .5 mi. W of St. Marks. St. Marks Wildlife Refuge. 1829, 1841. Conical. Stone and brick, stuccoed, 80-feet tall. Originally built too close to sea, light was relocated farther inland in 1841. Played a major role in Confederate coastal defense. Public. N.R. 1972.
Wakulla Springs WAKULLA SPRINGS ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND HISTORIC DISTRICT Prehistoric-1930s. 77 buildings, 62 of historical interest. Mediterranean Revival, Frame and Masonry Vernacular. Located in the 2902-acre Edward Ball Wakulla Springs State Park. The most significant building is Wakulla Lodge, built in the 1930s in the Mediterranean Revival style. Presently a hotel and conference center. Numerous archaeological sites within the district. Public. N.R. 1993.
Crawfordville OLD WAKULLA COUNTY COURTHOUSE Church St. 1892-1893 (moved in 1948). Frame Vernacular. 2 and a half stories, central louvered cupola with octagonal pavilion roof. A rare example of the very functional and simple public buildings built in rural Florida during the late 19th century. Public. N.R. 1976.
St. Marks FORT SAN MARCOS DE APALACHE 18 mi. S of Tallahassee off Fl. 363. 1660+ . Stonework remains of Spanish fort. Since 1660 the site of three forts occupied by Spanish, French, British, and Americans. Converted to trading post in British period. Captured and occupied in 1818 by U.S. troops led by Andrew Jackson who was campaigning against the Seminole Indians. Confederates refortified the site during Civil War. Museum. Public. N.R. 1966.