Historical Markers

Florida Historical Markers Programs - Marker: Volusia





You are currently viewing Volusia

Volusia

BATTLE OF DUNLAWTON PLANTATION
Location:950 Old Sugar Mill Road, Sugar Mill Botanical Gardens
County: Volusia
City: Port Orange
Description: During the First Seminole War, 1836, the Mosquito Roarers, a company of Florida militia under Major Benjamin Putnam, engaged a large band of Seminoles pillaging Dunlawton, a sugar plantation on the Halifax River. Heavy fighting ensued, but the militiamen were unable to disperse the Indians. The extensive system of sugar plantations on Florida's east coast was eventually destroyed by Seminole raids and the sugar industry in this area never recovered.
HOTEL ORMOND
Location:S.R. 40 (Granada Boulevard). Near John Anderson Dr.
County: Volusia
City: Ormond Beach
Description: Hotel Ormond, named for Volusia County pioneer James Ormond, was built in 1887 by John Anderson and Joseph Price. The large frame building was bought and enlarged by Henry M. Flagler in the 1890's. Operated by Flagler's Florida East Coast Railway, it was one of the first Flagler hotels in Florida. After 1890, the hotel and adjoining Ormond Beach Golf Club became major Florida tourist centers. John D. Rockefeller, a nearby resident, was a patron of both.
ORMOND TOMB
Location:North of Tomoka State Park on S.R. 5A (Old Dixie H
County: Volusia
City: Ormond Beach
Description: Near this site lies the tomb of James Ormond II. Ormond and his father, a Scot who immigrated to Florida via the Bahamas about 1804, made "Damietta," the family plantation, one of the most productive in the Halifax region. When Florida became a U.S. territory, Ormond became prominent in civil affairs, and during the Seminole War of 1836, commanded a platoon of the "Mosquito Roarers" at the Battle of Dunlawton. Ormond Beach was named for his family.
NOCOROCO
Location:At Tomoka State Park.
County: Volusia
City: Ormond Beach
Description: On this site was the Timucuan Indian Village of Nocoroco. It was mentioned in the report of Alvaro Mexia's expedition down the Florida east coast in 1605. It was the first Indian village south of St. Augustine noted by Mexia. The site was used during the British Occupation of Florida (1763-83), and probably remained under cultivation until the Seminole wars (1835-42).
THE ORMOND GARAGE
Location:S.R. 40 (East Granada Boulevard).
County: Volusia
City: Ormond Beach
Description: Built by Flagler's East Coast Hotel Company in 1903 for the 1904 races. This landmark in the history of the American automobile industry was the setting for the preparation, testing and servicing of some of the most famous racing cars of the world which made racing history and records on the nearby beach. It was a proving ground for pioneer automobile manufacturers such as Olds, Winton, Ford and Chevrolet. Some of the famous drivers who made world speed records here were William K. Vanderbilt, Jr., Arthur MacDonald, Fred Marriott, Ralph DePalma, Barney Oldfield and Tommy Milton.
Sponsors: The Birthplace of Speed Association, Inc. in Cooperation with Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials
DeBARY HALL / FLORIDA FEDERATION OF ART, INC.
Location:210 Sunrise Boulevard at DeBary Hall
County: Volusia
City: DeBary
Description: Side 1: Built in 1871 by Baron Frederick de Bary. Born 1815 in Germany of Belgian descent, de Bary came to New York in 1840 as agent for Mumm's Champagne. His estate of many hundred acres here in Florida was a hunting and fishing preserve and his family's winter home, where many notables of the day were entertained. Presidents Grant and Cleveland and members of Europe's royalty were guests. He died in 1898 in his 84th year, and his son Adolphe inherited the property. De Bary's residence here was during the steamboat era of the St. Johns River, and his interests included ownership of a steamship line. Side 2: Organized 1927 in Orlando for the purpose of promoting, developing, and advancing art in the State of Florida. DeBary Hall, with about five acres of land, was given to the Federation in 1959 by the Property Owners Association of Plantation Estates and became the Federation's State Headquarters and Art Galleries. In 1967 the property was acquired by the Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials, which then leased it to the Federation for its continued use. The Federation Committee that negotiated this sale and lease was Mrs. G.J. Brooks, Chairman; Mrs. Willard Bielby, Secretary; Dr. and Mrs. A.E. Brandt; Mr. William Daniell; and Mrs. Mabel Bullis.
Sponsors: Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials
SAUL'S HOUSE SITE
Location:880 Osteen Cemetery Rd, Osteen Cemetery
County: Volusia
City: Deltona
Description: Central Florida opened to settlers at the end of the 2nd Seminole War. The creation of Mosquito (later Volusia) County in 1843 signified rising interest in the area. George and Adaline Sauls were among those who came to Volusia County in the 1850s. Sauls built a two-room home near the road from Enterprise to the east coast in an area which became known as Saulsville. He added a second floor and other rooms as his family increased. After the 1880s, population centered on the railroad town of Osteen. Sauls family members remained in their home until the early 20th century. The Sauls house stood for over 100 years until fire destroyed it in 1972.
Sponsors: SPONSORED BY THE VOLUSIA COUNTY PRESERVATION BOARD
ST. MARY'S EPISCOPAL
Location:U.S. Highway 1 at Ridgewood Avenue
County: Volusia
City: Daytona Beach
Description: The Florida frontier remained relatively empty until after the Civil War. during the late 1860s, both northerners and native southerners perceived great potential in Florida. Among the places they settled was Tomoka, which became Daytona in 1871. Daytona settlers remained unchurched until various Protestant denominations established the Mission circuits so typical of frontier America. One early mission was St. Mark's begun in 1877. The parishioners of St. Mark's early felt the need for permanence and began planning a church building in the late seventies. Their efforts were crowned with success with the completion of St. Mary's, a Gothic Revival structure with board-and-batten exterior sheathing. St. Mary's has remained on its original site, growing with the community it serves. The structure has been enlarged several times to accommodate the expanding parish; however, the original St. Mary's remains the core of the present building, a visible reminder of Daytona's earliest years.
Sponsors: sponsored by jay adams and associates in cooperation with department of state
GAMBLE PLACE
Location:1819 Taylor Road (off S.R.431)
County: Volusia
City: Port Orange
Description: In 1898, James N. Gamble, of the Procter and Gamble Company and a longtime winter resident of Daytona Beach, bought this land on Spruce Creek for use as a rural retreat. In 1907, he built a small cracker cottage with an open front porch and a breezeway connecting a separate kitchen and dining room, which he named "Egwanulti," a Native American word meaning "by the water." At the same time, he rebuilt an existing packing house to process citrus from his grove. In 1938, Gamble's son-in-law, Alfred K. Nippert, completed the "Snow White House," a Black Forest style cottage inspired by the Disney animated film classic Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The house is surrounded by a Witch's Hut, the Dwarfs' Mine Shaft, and an elaborate network of rock gardens. Collectively, these buildings and grounds form a historic landscape now known as Gamble Place. This property was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
Sponsors: The Museum of Arts and Sciences of Daytona Beach and The Nature Conservancy in Cooperation with the Florida Department of State
FREEMANVILLE SETTLEMENT
Location:S. Ridgewood Ave. between 4th Ave. and Murray Way
County: Volusia
City: Port Orange
Description: Founded soon after the U.S. Civil War, the settlement that would become “Freemanville” was established by Dr. John Milton Hawks, an abolitionist and Union Army surgeon, along with other Union Army officers and the Florida Land & Lumber Company. In 1866, roughly 500 former slaves, many of whom had fought for the Union during the war, and their families initially settled here. An additional 1,000 freed slaves would arrive via steamboats in the following months. Of the 3,000 blacks that made Florida their home, roughly half settled near the Halifax River, thus making this area the most populous in Volusia County at that time. In 1867, Dr. Hawks named the settlement Port Orange. Due to harsh farming conditions and poor supplies, the settlement, the Florida Land & Lumber Company, and the integrated school, disbanded in 1869. Many of the settlers returned to their home states or headed for area citrus groves looking for work. However, a few of those original freed slaves stayed. Over time, the settlement became known as “Freemanville.” Mt. Moriah Baptist Church is the last remaining structure from the pioneering African-American community in Port Orange known simply as Freemanville.
Sponsors: THE CITY OF PORT ORANGE AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE
OLD KING'S ROAD
Location:Ormond Lakes Blvd. between Emerald Oaks Ln. and Lakebluff Dr.
County: Volusia
City: Ormond Beach
Description: The King's Road (also called Old King's Road named for King George of England) crossed north to south near this site. It was the first graded road built in Florida. Approximately 1.14 miles extends through Ormond Lake’s subdivision. Centuries ago, it originated as an Indian trail connecting Timucuan Indian villages along Florida’s East Coast. The Spanish laid out the primary trail during their first occupation of Florida (1513-1763). The British developed the winding trail into a working road (1763-1773) as area residents and the British Parliament put up funds for the highway’s construction. Among other uses during the British Period (1763-1783), it served the many large plantations being created along Florida’s East Coast. During the Second Spanish occupation (1784-1821) the Spanish regained control but preferred water routes to land passages and the King’s Road fell into disrepair. Following the American acquisition of Florida in 1821, the United States Congress appropriated funds to reconstruct the road. U.S. Army engineers completed the work between 1828 and 1831. The King’s Road was constructed from St. Mary’s, Georgia, to New Smyrna Beach, Florida, where it terminates at the remains of a stone wharf.
Sponsors: Ormond Lakes, Ltd., The Ormond Lakes Homeowners Association and the Florida Department of State
CORONADO BEACH HOUSE
Location:1705 S. Atlantic Ave.
County: Volusia
City: New Smyrna Beach
Description: Coronado Beach was settled by Foster G. Austin in 1885. Austin built a series of beachside cottages approximately one mile south of Flagler Avenue. In its early days, Coronado Beach, named after Austin’s native community in California, served primarily as a retreat for hunting and fishing during the winter. The community center shifted north to the Flagler Avenue area after the construction of a bridge that connected the mainland and the beachfront. Not many of the original houses withstood the ensuing decades of beachfront development. This house is one of the original houses built in Coronado Beach by Austin and is an excellent example of the type of housing built in this area in the late 19th century. Its original location was one half block south, at the northeast corner of Hill Street and 8th Avenue. Notable architectural features of this frame Vernacular house include the cross gable roof, veranda with cut-out stars in the brackets, chamfered posts, alternate shingle siding and ornate attic light in the east gable end. Coronado Beach was incorporated into the City of New Smyrna Beach in 1946.
Sponsors: MALIBU CONDOMINIUMS, LLC AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE
OLD ST. RITA COLORED MISSION CHURCH
Location:314 North Duss Street
County: Volusia
City: New Smyrna Beach
Description: The old St. Rita's Catholic Church Mission Building is one of the oldest surviving church buildings in the city. It was built in 1899 as the Sacred Heart Catholic Church of New Smyrna Beach, moved to this site in 1956 to serve the colored Catholics in the Westside Community, and was named St. Rita's Colored Mission Church. The building represents an important architectural landmark. The distinctive belfry, wood shingles in the gable end and pointed arch molding on the windows represent important architectural characteristics. After integration in 1969, the Diocese of Orlando converted the church into a neighborhood clinic and day care facility. The former church served that function until 1980, when the city condemned it in 1991. A committee of citizens, organized by Father Rudi Cleare of the Orlando Diocese, supported by Mark Rokowski, city planner and chaired by Mary Harrell, a retired educator and founder of the Black Heritage Festival, received state grants in 1997-98. These grants, coupled with private donations, funded the restorations, completed in 1999. The Orlando Diocese deeded the building and grounds to the Black Heritage Festival in 1999. The building currently serves as the Black Heritage Museum
Sponsors: Black Heritage Festival of New Smyrna, Inc. and the Florida Department of State
FLORIDA UNITED METHODIST CHILDREN'S HOME
Location:51 Main Street
County: Volusia
City: Deltona
Description: The Florida United Methodist Children’s Home was established here in 1908 as the Florida Methodist Orphanage. Children come from situations of abuse, neglect, broken and dysfunctional families, abandonment and other troubling circumstances. This institution began with the acquisition of one building, eight town lots and a tract of 40 acres of land purchased for $1,250. Articles of Incorporation were filed with the State of Florida on June 3, 1908. In 1939 the name was changed to The Florida Methodist Children’s Home, and renamed The Florida United Methodist Children’s Home in 1971. The site features three buildings—Brinkley Hall, built in 1923, Hardin Hall, 1926-27 and Randall Hall, built in 1933. Hardin Hall, the campus centerpiece, was renovated in 1980 and 1998. For a century the Florida United Methodist Children’s Home has operated to care for children in need
Sponsors: SPONSORED BY THE FLORIDA UNITED METHODIST CHILDREN’S HOME AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE
THE THREE CHIMNEYS
Location:715 West Granada Blvd.
County: Volusia
City: Ormond Beach
Description: The Three Chimneys, originally known as the Swamp Settlement, was a British period sugar plantation established c. 1768 on a portion of 20,000 acres granted by King George III in 1764 to Richard Oswald (1700-1784), a wealthy and influential Scottish merchant. The Swamp Settlement covered 300 acres. This site was the first successful and the oldest British sugar plantation of its kind in North America. The sugar making facility consisted of a long brick structure containing four separate furnaces feeding two chimneys which disappeared long ago. These ruins were restored in 2007. The run distillery had two furnaces feeding one chimney which stood until 1997. Mr. Richard Oswald went on to serve as the British representative for the Treaty of Paris in 1783 which ended the Revolutionary War. He helped obtain treaty terms favorable to the United States of America, including the establishment of the Mississippi River as its western boundary.
Sponsors: Sponsored by the Ormond Beach Historical Society, Inc. and the Florida Department of State
ORMOND FIRE HOUSE
Location:160 East Granada Boulevard
County: Volusia
City: Ormond Beach
Description: The Ormond Fire House, the only Works Progress Administration (WPA) structure in Ormond Beach, was built in 1937. The eclectically-designed two-story building features elements of Mission and Spanish Colonial Revival style architecture and is constructed of brick with a coquina veneer. It was designed by Alan J. MacDonough whose WPA projects include the Holly Hill City Hall and the Daytona Beach Bandshell and Armory. McDonough also designed the Peabody Auditorium and the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, where the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) was founded. Construction of the Ormond Fire House began in 1935 using 52 local workers. It was used continuously as a firehouse and police station until 2006. The building was also used as a polling station, City Court, and a hurricane shelter. A wooden Civil Defense aircraft warning tower stood behind the building during World War II, as well as a city water tower from 1947-1971. The Ormond Fire House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a City of Ormond Beach Historic Landmark.
Sponsors: x